On Thursday, the client decides to amend his prices (or at least some of them) and informs us that he wants to go live immediately. However, the shop can only be launched once the checklist is complete. So within five minutes, we’ve worked through an A4 page of 30 items, testing them online and ticking them off the list.
Unfortunately, despite its necessity being reiterated several times (it was included in the CFS), the CNAME entry needed for the live URL has not been set.
On Friday, the CNAME record for the domain is still missing. At the last second, an A record is set, pointing to our IP address, enabling the shop to lift off and go live in time for the weekend. Luckily, following a quick DNS refresh, the shop can also be accessed from the live URL. At five to twelve, the telephone rings and we’re told that the URL cannot be reached without entering WWW. We explain that this is another URL and the client needs to set up a redirect with his provider or set an A or CNAME record.
But that’s a job for next week...
Explanations of the abbreviations:
• CFS Client Fact Sheet (form for entering all the client data needed for a project)
• Commercial Fact Sheet (internal explanation outlining why a project is being undertaken)
• FS Feature Set (settings determining which features are displayed in the die plate design module [creator])
• SM Sales Manager
• SMJF Sales Manager Jour Fixe
• EM Export Manager
• COI Colop Order Import (tool used to import electronic client orders into our ERP system)
• COS Colop Order System (shop enabling our partners to order stamps)
• ICD Image Card Designer (online tool used to design the image cards for our various products)
• Generation 3
• TST EOS Type Setting Tool (software used to create the flash stamp production file)
(Further definitions can be found online! 😉